Wednesday, July 14, 2010

WWIII: Stamford

"Nice to meet you. Where are you from?"

"Connecticut"

"Where in Connecticut?"

"Stamford. Right outside New York City. I don't know if you have heard of it."

"Sure I know Stamford. It was just recently blown up. There were many explosions and a war there."

"Excuse me?"

I was caught by surprise when I had this conversation at a wedding in Virginia last weekend. I met the cousin of the bride who informed me of a war in Stamford. Apparently there were many explosions and massive fighting in the streets. With a confused look on my face, I immediately thought the cocktail hour got the best of him. Unless something happened right after I left and the thousands of news outlets around the country refused to cover it, this guy had no idea what he was talking about.

Turns out he was a big comic book fan who runs a comic website out of Brooklyn. Apparently Marvel Comics took the city of Stamford and made it a battleground for a civil war. The story was also made into a video game. In Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, explosions rock different parts of the city.

That could explain the massive holes in the ground across the street from the mall and on Washington Boulevard. Apart from a random street that I don't recognize, Stamford High School is beautifully recreated and then blown apart.



The producer must have been an alum of rival Westhill High School (where I attended) so no tears were shed during that shot by me.

In the entertainment world, Stamford is not limited to the big screen. Apart from being in the pages of comic books, the city has attracted not only film studios, but the interactive gaming industry as well. With its unique architecture and small downtown, the setting of the city provides a unique backdrop for gaming designers.

Hopefully this publicity will attract the organizers of Comic Con. I'll be looking for it at the Holiday Inn in 2011. If there is a Stamford left before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment