Thursday, August 12, 2010

Write it down: Final reflection

I played my part. I played a role. I found a plan. I learned to write like this to keep my audience looking for more. I liked being the devil’s advocate. I always voiced my opposition to the argument. This summer I enjoyed writing that voice.

Take it back. Half in this time. I’m not done. I have to keep rewriting. That sentence can be better. Those were the thoughts I implanted into my head since the beginning. I got rid of an unnecessary “the” and cut a sentence short. I enjoyed what I wrote about and tried to keep it simple. I cleaned up the clutter.

I learned how to be myself through writing. For the first time ever, I created a bio sketch and summed myself up in three sentences.

I’m reminded of the Forrest Gump line “From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!” Instead of running this summer, I was writing. I just kept writing. I continued to write about myself. I conversed with my unknown audience and got into a rhythm.

I get late shows delivered to me all the time at work. They’re consistently late because production companies are tweaking them up until the hour it airs to make it perfect. I did the same with my posts. I read my sentences over and over until the minute before submission.

AGAINST THE GRAIN

I learned to write outside the box. I have always been told to write an introduction, body and conclusion. I broke the rules and it felt natural. The sun is brighter when I enjoy writing about a topic.

I narrowed my thoughts and concentrated on the necessary details. Examining both sides of the story and making an argument opened up doors with endless possibilities for me. I am still an amateur writer but I learned to break free of restrictions. I thought small and learned that after every draft, it was still not perfect and might not ever be. But I found my voice.

A thesis is no longer a boring investigation. I had an idea and argument and created my personal niche.

ONLINE IDENTITY

At the beginning of the semester, my Facebook account and name in an alumni directory amounted to my only online identity. Now I have Twitter and LinkedIn accounts and a blog that serves as an online guide to my hometown of Stamford.

I did not know what to write about because every writing assignment I ever had before this class was always about something other than me. Who am I? What was I about? I found it and put it at the top of a Google search.

I did my research. Start out with a pile of information and use the process of elimination to prove my argument. I told a story and wrote my conversation. This conversation was informative and I found myself. I picked a city that surrounds me everyday. I wanted to be that storyteller to someone else so they can look into my personal experiences. I had a purpose.

My niche was my hometown of Stamford, Connecticut. I chose this topic because this is my life. I am interested in it. I am Mr. Stamford. I plan to incorporate this niche into my Master’s Project. My original idea was to create a website on historic Stamford. Now, I might create an interactive guide based on my work from this summer. I am more confident with this topic and I have already created my online identity on it. The word is out.

On my blog I created a budget guide to exploring the city, its impact on Hollywood and a pitch presentation on Stamford’s hidden secrets. I included photos and videos for a clearer representation. I enjoyed being a critic.

I expanded my niche to Twitter and included new announcements on Stamford for a larger audience. I used to hate Twitter. There was no point to it. Now I am following and being followed by many Stamford and Connecticut organizations and bloggers. I learned that by establishing a voice online, the virtual world finds you. Conversations start.

I created my presence about something that I know a lot about. I would have liked to learn more technical issues like creating Meta tags for my blog posts but maybe that will be waiting for me in web programming.

My Google identity has begun and now my audience can see the relationship between my presence and me. This was my first chance to practice who and what I am. This class gave me that opportunity.

I know what to do and what not to do. I created a video presentation for my pitch and spruced it up with music and pictures. I learned how to engage the audience. I simplified my life.

AND IN CASE I DON’T SEE YA, GOOD AFTERNOON, GOOD EVENING AND GOOD NIGHT

I hated writing before this class. I had motivation to write after the lectures. It was a Dead Poets Society motivation. I never thought Twitter had a purpose but now it does. I enjoyed the research, I enjoyed the time.

Even though I did not pick the “Students for the History of Stamford” project as my pitch, I am still interested in starting a program to encourage kids to explore their local history. I can spearhead projects. I can successfully pitch an idea.

I despised reading and writing before this class started. Now I feel comfortable. I need to keep writing. I followed Zinsser's advice when he said, "Go with what seems inevitable in your own heritage. Embrace it and it may lead you to eloquence."

No comments:

Post a Comment