Thursday, May 27, 2010

Great expectations

Even after taking many journalism classes in my undergraduate years, I still see myself as an amateur writer. I see writing as a reflection upon the character of a person and through this course I hope to make my writing stronger than what it currently is. In the past, I have been told a lot of my views and ideas are not necessarily conveyed the way I see them through my writing. As a result, I hope to develop and maintain certain skills during this class. These skills include: becoming more aware of my audience, better organization and clarity and increasing my personal motivation to write more.

There is a scene in the movie 'A River Runs Through It' where a young kid wants to go out and play but his father won’t let him until his essay is perfect. He writes and then turns it in to his father who makes changes and tells him to write it again. This happens over and over until he finally gets his essay perfect and then can go out with the satisfaction that after writing over and over, a perfect final outcome can occur. Just like the term “practice makes perfect,” I hope to achieve this same outcome in this class.

A writing ritual is what I have veered away from working in the video production field all of these years. That combined with Flash animation classes have limited my writing capabilities. With constant revisions made to my own pieces of writing during this class, I am hoping I can become more concise and create powerful sentences.

I am looking forward to the constant honest and intelligent feedback and using it to improve my skills. With all of these components and practice, I hope to feel that personal satisfaction after submitting my different pieces of writing, 3 or 4 drafts later.

1 comment:

  1. http://marialias.quicm.net/blog/?p=68

    I posted a comment to your article on my blog!

    ReplyDelete