Friday, May 28, 2010

Reflections of Yesterday, Visions of Tomorrow

I briefly noted a couple of important aspects of my life in my bio sketch that I wish to dig into further in this post. One is my experience traveling the world through the study abroad program Semester at Sea and how I ended up at the doorstep to the Quinnipiac ICM program.

In the fall of 2001 entering my senior year of college, I embarked on a journey from Vancouver, British Columbia to travel around the world. For those three months there were many notable experiences like visiting the Great Wall of China, Taj Mahal and meeting Fidel Castro. But after being two weeks on the Pacific Ocean in the beginning of the program, 9/11 occurred a day before we entered the first country of Japan. It was after that major event, that I truly shaped me as a person experiencing different cultures and their reactions to that event. It changed our complete route in our travels and made me see first hand the many different types of people there are in this world. It made me not only experience world cultures for the first time, but also made a huge impact on myself as a person. It was very strange to come back to a more patriotic and changed country.

Years later after being isolated in one monotonous and repetitive job, I decided I needed a change. I was still interested in media but saw both the company I work for and other mediums drastically turn towards the online world. Many of the schools close to Stamford did not offer anything close to this area so a Quinnipiac undergraduate alumnus and friend of mine sent me information on the ICM program. I attended an information seminar and looked at the class descriptions and immediately became interested. Two years and a wealth of knowledge and online design experience later, I am close to completing my Master’s Project.

These two life-changing experiences have had a big impact on my life and make me view both the real and virtual worlds in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment