Friday, June 25, 2010

The Age of Reason

Humans are curious beings. We live and learn. So it’s no wonder we try to find reason in everything using our complex brains. We try to make sense of every object or action we see, hear and smell. The same thing happens when we write on paper or a computer keyboard. Writing is a step-by-step process.


My mathematical requirement class in college was called QRMS (Quantitative Reasoning and Mathematical Skills). I was never good at math or science. If I did not attend office hours to get extra help from the professor, I would not have passed with a C as my final grade. Even though I could not solve the complex quadratic formulas and algorithms, I learned that applying step-by-step logic would help prove any argument. I must perform step A and B before arriving at the conclusion of step C. Applying logic helps to avoid problems and frustration.


I arrive at a conclusion every day just to make my next action easier. As a writer I develop an idea, practice it and then prove it. I feel like a detective on the television program The First 48. With the help of my laptop I can start writing and rearrange my piece even when I create conclusions at different times. Logic opens up the door for new ideas and procedures.


The production facility where I work is using a new software program called Mediaflex to become fully digital and tapeless. Mediaflex seems to work for every employee except my boss and me. We are trying to apply logic and incorporate Mediaflex into our work flow so that we can work with the rest of the staff, but it is not easy.


Last week’s lecture stated that “In a relative world, where there are always more arguments to be made, logic gives us the ability to make them.” I did not realize that every day I’m using logic to innovate and create positive solutions.


I never solved those complex formulas in QRMS, but I did learn that applying simple logic helps unravel the situations and pieces of software that life throws at me. It puts the creativity back in writing and makes me feel like a detective.

No comments:

Post a Comment