Monday, June 7, 2010

Mileage Plus

Even though I felt discouraged when I read Professor Kalm's entry on a student writing about travel last semester, I think my interest and previous experiences lean toward that area. This proposes a dilemma since it will not help with my master’s project planned for next year. Currently (and this could change between now and then), I will be working with the Stamford Historical Society to design an online addition to their website on the history of Stamford, Connecticut. The primary focus of this addition has yet to be determined.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions about how I can tie these two together or how I can create a strong and interesting manifesto solely on Stamford. If not, I will write about the sophisticated world of traveling and all that embraces it based on my personal experiences. These include the Semester at Sea study abroad program and trips with family and friends.

I would like to reflect upon the different cultures, landmarks and food that I observed first hand in these countries. Throughout my childhood up until the present day, I have met different people from various countries and lived through some amazing moments.

I believe traveling changes the character of a person and make them look at the world in another way. Improvements in social networking have brought the world closer together but witnessing a place first hand that is thousands of miles away from your home is a different experience.

Beyond the screaming babies on the plane or the lifeboat drills on a ship are unique places that are important in someone’s life.

4 comments:

  1. If you wanted to keep this semester's work related to your master's project, maybe you could do a travelers guide around Stamford. You could explore major attractions like the Museum & Nature Center, look into what major corporations call it home (WWE, YES, etc.), introduce us to lesser known but equally awesome hotspots from restaurants to free activities, and talk to locals about what makes Stamford a great place to live.

    I'm just throwing these things out there. I really like that idea you presented and think either way it would be a good read. My Stamford suggestions are really just selfish - I want you to find me cool laces to go that aren't too far away! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I didn't even think of that. That's a great idea! Thank you so much Nancy! I'll be sure to find you some cool places around town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon,

    I like that your topic incorporates traveling. I love to travel, and have been to some beautiful places. I like Nancy's idea of designing a traveler's guide, but maybe you could do an online traveler's guide that includes all of the different tips and tricks you've learned from traveling. It could have a section on the places you've been, and things you've learned there. You could make a section for Stamford, and for the Semester at Sea. I think your idea sounds interesting, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out! Good Luck!

    -Maria-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ideas seem to fit perfectly with your biosketch. It sounds like you have a predominant interest in travel. Since that's the case, go for it. If it's something you're passionate about, you should write about it.

    It seems like your passion for travel ties directly to your statement "I believe traveling changes the character of a person and make them look at the world in another way." This should be what you stand on when you write about travel. It's a cause you believe in.

    Great pick.

    ReplyDelete